In my blog I plan to chat about nature, crafts, baking, gardening, beekeeping, family, and whatever else seems appropriate at the time. Sit back, relax, and enjoy!

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Craftyness

Did everyone put their scrap yarn out for the birds to use for nesting? Tis time.

I didn't want to see colorful yarn in my dogs poo, so I put it up on a pile of bricks we have in the yard. I hope the birds found it before the wind blew it down.


So do all of you remember the granny square blanket I was trying to make from January. I had a color issue , then I had a needle size issue. Well, last Saturday the Granny Bees (stitchery group) had an all day workshop, and I decided to get the granny yarn out. I have the 5.5 hook now, and I have the colors.

I wasn't sure about this first square, and then Marilyn and I decided, it's gonna look just fine when it's all done, because the colors match in the rug, so they should all match in the blankey.


















I just realized I did a pink and green border on one, and a green and pink border on the other one. I love this color of pink. I might have to buy more of it.











One evening last week Scribe and RJ rode with me to a Granny Bee meeting. I didn't know it was "give your friend a hand crafted item day."

Scribe gave me this felted bee.



I have her sitting on the Queen Bee's lap until she gets her bearings straight on her new home. Have you ever watched a honey bee exit a hive? They fly around the hive in circles above it, to get their bearings straight!

When Easter comes, she will have a prominent place on the Easter tree.

And when RJ got in the car, she gave me this crocheted bunny!

Hello? how cute is this stuff. I put the bunny up high so Dixie Doodle and Winston won't think it's a toy. Speaking of...someone asked me last Saturday if I finished my last afghan I was working on. Uhhh, noooo, not since I discovered dog pee on the yarn thank you very much for reminding me.

I did a little bit of rug punch. It's gonna be a coaster :) I'm not sure if I'm into rug punch, but some of the women there are doing beeautiful stuff with it. The Granny Bee brought it to my attention in the comment section of this post that the above is RUG HOOKING, not rug punch. And this is why she IS THE GRANNY BEE, master of all things stitchery, and I am the Bee Lady. A beekeeper, learning to be a stitcher. (she's smiling right now, I guarantee it.)


So, for show and tell, I brought this.....


This is the back side. That is a wish bone that's been crocheted around. Yeah, like a chicken wish bone. I know it's weird but that's what it is. I didn't make it, it came in a bag of stuff I bought.

This is the front

and the center opens up into a little pocket

Anyone know what it is?
Cindy Bee

24 comments:

  1. What the Bunny Poo is going on???!!!
    You are sweet and all Miss Bee, but.....a Handworked Chocolate Bunny AND a felted honey bee??!! I thought I had connections....sigh

    ReplyDelete
  2. I put my yarn scraps out. I like the blanket BTW...Looking good.
    As for your show and tell item....I dont know what it is or who would use it.....It is different.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Debbie M - For the love of God and all that is holy....Isn't it enough you got the afghan!

    RJ - Good girl on the yarn scraps.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bird yarn scraps? How cool! I learn so much in the Grand Blog World♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cindy,
    Your circle with wool strips is Rug Hooking not Rug Punch...

    ReplyDelete
  6. janis - Wish it was my genious idea but it wasn't. I think it might have been The Garden Bell, but not sure. I did it though.

    Granny Bee - YOU ARE RIGHT AGAIN! Geesh how did I ever run this blog without you? I'll make a correction. And I love rug punch. Rug hooking, I like the way it looks, but I'm just not getting the groove of it. I think I need to get one of those $35.00 hooks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely idea to put scraps out for the birds.... Well i always heard it called punch rug - unless they are two different things. I have always wanted to do it but didn't know if it was hard to do. I just love the look!!

    I wonder if that little wishbone pocket thing was a tooth fairy thingy.... idunno~ ; )

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your block, I will be pretty all put together! What do you think, maybe something to keep your wishes in?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think your crocheted wishbone thing is a thimble holder. http://crazyhaberdasher.blogspot.com/2008/02/pincushions-hearts-wishbones-and.html
    has a picture of one with a pincushion hanging from it. Very cool find.
    I love the granny squares.
    Your anonymous blog stalker,
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the granny squares - great colours!

    I have absolutely no idea what your show and tell item is ... and if your anonymous blog stalker is correct, I have just one question: why? And do you wear it round your neck; attach it to a belt ... I'm baffled!!

    Thanks for the bag lining advice - just as soon as I get my sewing machine and fabric unpacked in a few weeks time, I'll see what I can come up with.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bee lady I watch the birds pick up little bits of our sisal baler twine and use for their nests it is funny to see it hang from the trees.
    I love the colours of you wool. I am glad anonymous posted the thimble holder comment, makes sense I love it. B

    ReplyDelete
  12. I tried to research the wishbone thimble holders, and although I found examples online, I found very little history. Except that the origin is Victorian. I found a crochet book from 1916 that had a pattern for one. The significance of the wishbone is for luck, as it still is today. I did see reference to wishbones being gifted at weddings, and that the Victorian women liked to find decorative uses for common items. I found nothing that indicated how it is used. Could it hang from the wrist? I will keep digging.
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  13. Blogger is messed up again. I had a big ol comment done and it timed out. :o(

    Move to the south! Bees love warm weather. :o) Hope you get some warmy soon. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Im going with thimble holder tooo.

    What a great idea about the bird scraps.

    I had been thinking and wondering what to do with these snippets.. I was sure they were useful for SOMETHING, but I didnt know what.

    I will have to wait till after we have winter tho. You lucky ducks will be having spring .

    Cheers
    Fi

    ReplyDelete
  15. Where is my lamb I made you :) poor guy feeling left out.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous Blog Stalker BETH!!! OMG!!!! I drew her out. Now I know...old hand crafted items that need research will bring the stalker out of anonynimity! Is that a word? Beth - I can't believe you found a pic of that thimble holder and I like the blog too. I'm gonna have to follow it for awhile. I bet you are following it too....secretly. shhhh

    Cindy Bee

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sister - you lied about that lamb. You didn't make it for me. Dad told the truth about you...Liar Liar Pants on fire....I'll post about it allright....

    Cindy Bee

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fi - now come on, don't be a poor sport. You had your spring. I just hope you have a better winter than I did.

    Cindy Bee

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hookin It - I feel your pain. I had one long comment all ready to go in answer to all of these and BAM - lost it. Now I'm answering each one individually which takes forever. And I really wonder if anyone ever comes back to check them.

    Cindy Bee

    ReplyDelete
  20. Fiona - who knows why? But my blog stalker is correct. Check out that blog she found it on.

    Cindy Bee

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wanda,

    There is Rug punch, punch needle, and Rug Hooking. They are all different, done with different tools and all very cool crafts. Granny Bee knows her stuff when it comes to stitchery. I'll do a post someday on that stuff.

    Cindy Bee

    ReplyDelete
  22. OOo, OOO! I know!

    Its part of a homemade victorian chatelaine - those days the ladies would attach a clip to their dress and dangling from it would be different useful items they would need during the day - I bet you that Beth figured it out and yes that is most likely a handmade thimble holder to hang from their skirt! YAY Beth!

    The wishbone could be a memory item - something to remind them of someone, as back then communication was sparse between family members that would migrate out west - sometimes they would never see each other again :(! It was also common to keepsake locks of loved ones hair, and then to make a hair art out of it - I have seen the most elaborate flowers, lace etc. made out of hair from that era...

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your wishbone thimble holder is cool. I have four of them now. One is my great grandmother's. There are crochet books from the 1910's that has patterns for them. I'm am trying to find out how to clean them. Not sure if the bone would get soft if I got them in water.

    Cindy McLean

    ReplyDelete
  24. In regards to your wish bone crochet. It is in fact part of a very old pattern that is incorporated into the heart shape pin cushion. It is in fact a thimble holder design using a turkey wish bone. ( very much dried out and cleaned up mind you.)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to leave a comment on my blog. I enjoy reading them. I hope you have a wonderful day.

Cindy