In my blog I plan to chat about nature, crafts, baking, gardening, beekeeping, family, and whatever else seems appropriate at the time. Sit back, relax, and enjoy!

Monday, March 21, 2011

Fun, Food, Friends

Field Trip
This is my friend Marcia. I worked with her for 15 years at Purdue in Kokomo. She puts make-up on about 8-10 times a day!

This is my friend Susie. She went in the door that said "Employees only", walked back out and said, "umm, don't go in there!" I worked with her at Purdue for 15 years too.


This is my friend Cecilia. I worked with her at Purdue for several years, can't remember how many.
I started working at Purdue in Kokomo when I was 27 years old. I'm 52. Those people became like a second family. Not just the women, but all of them. The professors, the lab techs, and the secretaries. We knew each others families. We celebrated birthdays, weddings, and attended funerals. We disagreed, argued, and made up. We cared about each other....still do. Family. Many of them have retired or quit now. I quit working there about 9 years ago. These women have retired. We meet for breakfast once a month. But every now and then we break loose and get out of town! We had a day of fun last week, and one of our stops was Red Gold in Elwood, IN.
Cecilia has been talking about this place for a few years now, but I never got what the big deal was. I knew there was a tomato factory there, but I had no idea they had an outlet store.

Apparently Susie didn't see this HUGE sign!


This nice man was explaining how to fill out the form. You just walk into this office and they give you a form to order what you want. You pay at the register, and go back out to your car. You buy products by the case and they load it all for you. They also have dented or unlabeled products. I bought a case of pizza sauce (24 cans) for $8.00, a case (12 jars) of black bean and corn salsa for $11.00, a case (24 cans) of diced tomatoes with green chilies for $8.00 and a case of ketchup (16 bottles 24 oz) for $9.00. I split everything except the salsa. They sell just about anything that has a tomato base. I usually make my own tomato juice and salsa but I'm not sure I'll have time for much else than working on our new home this year.

We stocked up!
Cindy Bee

8 comments:

  1. Sound slike a wonderful time... myself still unpacking and spending time with grandkids.. Love it...must say I am in heaven....hugs Birgit

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good friends and stocking up! Sounds like a good combo to me! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cindy,
    Did you see a Hooked Rug in the office where you signed in? It would have been about 3'x4' and has the Red Gold Emblem in the design? That rug was hooked by The Puckihuddlers Rug Hooking Group that we belong to...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow..I didn't know they had an outlet store either, their tomato juice make the bestest chili!..I'll have to visit! So glad you are feeling better, it is wonderful that you stay in touch with these great ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's so nice that you meet up with this ladies on a frequent basis. Good friends are hard to find.
    Tomato factory outlet - who knew?

    ReplyDelete
  6. hello my lovely and thank you for your sweet comment.
    it is fun to be introduced to your beeautiful friends :o)

    warmest hugs

    millie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Granny Bee, I didn't see the rug. I'll look for it when I go back.

    Cindy Bee

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to leave a comment on my blog. I enjoy reading them. I hope you have a wonderful day.

Cindy