In my blog I plan to chat about nature, crafts, baking, gardening, beekeeping, family, and whatever else seems appropriate at the time. Sit back, relax, and enjoy!

Saturday, November 24, 2012

Shopping Trip Weekend

Roofus update - I have him back.  Finally.  I missed him.  Apparently he has sleep apnea. And there is no cure when computers get this problem.  So, I'm going to use him until he just doesn't wake up anymore. We're a pair...a team.  I love him.  
 I will probably download more pics to my blog.  Sorry in advance.  Maybe I'll open a new blog for pics only.  Or just go back to the old days when I printed them off. I dunno.  I just know my pics are my most important thing. And I don't want to lose them. I've taken pics forever.  I took classes back in the late 70's early 80's on developing.  I had a big camera, Canon AE1, I remember the name of it.  Had a tripod and the whole thing.  I got tired of lugging it around.  So, I sold it all and got a point and shoot.  I'm not out to win awards. I just love my family and friends and enjoy looking at pics.  That's all.  My blog is my journal.  And I have some catching up to do.

So catch up I will.  I'll start with the weekend before Thanksgiving...
For years and years our family has gone shopping the weekend before Thanksgiving.  I'm talking about 40 or so years.  It started out with Vickie (my cousin), her Mom (my Aunt who has since passed), my Mom (whose Sister was Vickie's Mom) and me.  Then when my Sister came along, she got to go when she turned 16.  Then when Vickie's daughter, Ashley, came along, she got to..when she turned 16.  And somewhere in the mix, Gloria (our cousin who was basically raised with our Moms) got to go.   This year Mom and Gloria decided they were not going to go. They actually decided that last year, but that's another story you can read about here if you want to.

So this year, the four of us went.  Me, cousin Vickie, sister Theresa, and cousin Ashley.  Now, in the past we would all meet up at My Aunt's house in Logansport (which is now Vickie's house).  But this year we decided to meet on the road part way (Vickie's husband dropped them off), rather than any of us driving out of the way.  This got us home a lot sooner in the end.

But when we would meet up before, we would always take a group photo.  So Theresa and I decided to keep with tradition and take a group photo before we left.  WTH?   The pic kept looking like this and I couldn't figure out why.  Oh noooo, my camera lens isn't opening all the way.  Not again.
Phew! And this year we decided to go to the outdoor mall on the first day. They were having a great deal.  For $5 you get a wrist band and different places had different deals.  Like the Vera Bradley store was giving out free zipper pouches. 
And there was a little boutique store, Apricot Lane, giving out free earrings with purchase. And Chic-Fillet was giving out FREE chicken sandwiches!  There were other deals to be had, so we spent the biggest part of the day there.  Plus, the weather was perfect!
Success!  We decided to unload the car,
and check into the hotel.
 I changed into my new purse....
 (dammit Vickie I'm trying to get a pic of my new purse)...
inside this big purse, was a smaller purse with a shoulder strap!
We freshened up and Vickie changed from her shirt under the sweater to a dickie (snicker)
 and we went to the indoor mall in Ft. Wayne.
When we originally shopped here, there was an ice skating rink where this carousel is, and there were some very cool stores, and a tea shop, in an area of the mall called the Apple Orchard.  I loved it.  It's no longer there.  It's gone by the way of Starbucks and modern stores.
That evening we went back to the room, relaxed, and munched on popcorn, cheese ball and crackers, chocolate, and wine.  Now, what are the odds of meticulously spreading your cheese on your crackers and when you drop the plate, every single cracker and the plate land upside down...except one.
tee hee!
 The next morning I was up early, before everyone else.  My body is just used to getting up early.  So I took my crochet bag and my flashlight and my pillow and I snuggled in this closet.  I hung my flashlight on the ironing board so I could see, and I quietly crocheted while waiting on everyone to wake up.

 The only downfall of just getting one room (it was a semi-suite as it had a kitchen) was we only had one bathroom.
Back in the day we would all dress alike on this trip, kind of like a group tour. I know - say not a word.  Ashley, the middle one, hated the denim shirt year (Vickie is wearing it for illustration purposes)  So, before the trip, Theresa had Mom make a pillow for Ashley out of her (Theresa's) denim shirt.
 Then Mom took the sleeves and made Vickie and I a little pillow, and Theresa embellished them.  I love it!  I have ever single shirt we ever wore.  Hmmm, I bet Gloria has all the pics.  Wonder if she would e-mail them to me.  I'd love to post them on here.  Anyway....
this was our shopping trip weekend, the weekend BEFORE Thanksgiving.  Our tradition lives on.
What the heck...
Pepper?
....What are you doing here?
Oooooh....okaaay........Pepper Mintstix wanted me to remind you to visit small businesses today. Today is small business Saturday.  He is employed at Groovy Girl Yarn.  He, obviously, isn't working very hard.  But if you go there, you can meet him.  And today is also Christmas in the Cabin.

 If you have a chance, visit The Bitters'sweet Cabin at 115 Kingston Road from 3-11.  It's in Kokomo, IN.  There are several other small businesses in town to visit today.  Ask either of these shop owners and they will guide you in the right direction.

Also, tonight is Christmas at the Seiberling.  So, if you are in town, you might as well go to the Seiberling mansion and meet and greet Santa and tour the mansion all decorated for Christmas.  I know - it's a horrible picture.  I don't have a good one on my computer of the mansion all lit up.  So just use your imagination......visualize....
What?
I'm done now....finally...
Go.
What are you doing here?
Gooooooo...
shop
Visit your small businesses.

Cindy Bee

11 comments:

  1. Oh I would love to go on your traditional shopping trip it sounds like a HOOT.
    Love the silly pictures of girls gone wild:)
    I am so glad you are back blogging I missed you. Sounds like the tradition will live on for ever. B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Buttons,
      Thanks, I missed you too. I'm trying to get caught up on blog reading and commenting. Between my computer problems and me being sick I just can't seem to get caught up. Actually, I can't seem to get caught up since we've moved.

      Cindy Bee

      Delete
  2. This is a great idea and you all look like you're having a blast!

    Adopt me? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok, we'll adopt you, but you have to take the bad with the good. I only post the good stuff, ya know!

      Cindy Bee

      Delete
  3. What a fun experience! It looks like that you all were having an awesome time.Hugs,Jen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Family and friends are miracle workers in my book!...:)JP

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw what a fun tradition! I LOVE the little pillows, cute idea.

    yes we would love to see the pictures of you all wearing your matching outfits!

    Cindy Bee, have you considered saving your photos on Flickr, it's $25.00 a year. that's where I keep all my old ones. I"m like you, snap, click, shoot. probably 30-50 pictures a week (for project life).

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't think about saving my pics on Flickr. I did think about saving them somewhere...just don't know where. I take at least that many pics.

      My cousin is working on gathering and e-mailing me the pictures of past shopping trips. I'll post them when she gets them sent.

      Cindy Bee

      Delete
  6. Your shopping trip looks like great fun! I have thousands of pictures on my old computer and I need to get some memory sticks and get them all saved. This computer has been slowing down gradually and I am also worried about loosing all of my pictures. Also trying to catch up with everyone. Just not blogging much as of late. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to leave a comment on my blog. I enjoy reading them. I hope you have a wonderful day.

Cindy