In my blog I plan to chat about nature, crafts, baking, gardening, beekeeping, family, and whatever else seems appropriate at the time. Sit back, relax, and enjoy!

Thursday, March 20, 2014

Happy Birthday - Happy Spring!

Happy Birthday Adrienne!
 We had a luncheon for her the other day....for the new baby.  Ty Joseph will be here around Easter-time!
 AND HAPPY FIRST DAY OF SPRING!  
Good Lord it's been a long time coming, and I heard we are to have a snow storm next week.  I don't believe it.  Anyway, last Fall I asked my Shug to pick up some Hyacinths for me.  Hyacinths, Tulips, Daff's, etc. are all bulbs that go in the ground in the fall.  They need the cold winter months to prepare them to bloom.  Well, all they had at the store he was at, was Grape Hyacinths, so he bought them for me anyway.  I don't know if you all know how to "force" bulbs, but if you don't, here is a lesson.
  All you have to do is put a store bought (even cheap) bulb in a dark, cool place.  What you are doing, is imitating winter to them.  They are in a dark, cool place during the winter months.  Do not let them freeze.  I know it's freezing outside in the winter, but not underground where they are located.  Not usually anyway, who knows about this winter.  But anyway, most of the time you can put them in a brown lunch bag in a drawer in your fridge.  I put them in another room in our house because our entire house is cold except for the room we are living in.

I decided the other day it was time to plant them.



 
They are doing just fine and will probably bloom about the time I am in Florida!  Yup, I'm going to Florida.  I decided someone is going to have to go down there and get that sunshine and bring it back up here, so I am doing it.  My cousin, Vickie, is going with me.  (OK I'm going with her, to visit her brother, my cousin)
 In the meantime, I'm devastated to say I only have one hive left.  This is a picture from last year of healthy, happy bees.  I am sad to say that only one hive survived the winter.  So if you live in my area, please contact me if you get a swarm.  I need several as there are others that have called me wanting bees.  There are none to be had.  It's scary peeps.  More on that later....
Cindy Bee
(can't be a beekeeper without bees-pray for my one lone hive)

3 comments:

  1. Oh Cindy I am so sorry about your Bees yes that is scary for more reasons than one. Hug B

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear about the bees, Cindy.

    Enjoy Florida - we're heading to New Orleans at the weekend in search of some sunshine, although the forecast there isn't brilliant (but at least doesn't say snow!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry to read about your bees, Cindy...but there's a reason...:)JP

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to leave a comment on my blog. I enjoy reading them. I hope you have a wonderful day.

Cindy