In my blog I plan to chat about nature, crafts, baking, gardening, beekeeping, family, and whatever else seems appropriate at the time. Sit back, relax, and enjoy!

Monday, September 30, 2013

It's Apple Picking Time

 When we bought this property, we had no idea it had an old apple tree on it.
 And this apple tree is happy as can be, that a beekeeper lives here!
 And I was happy that my Shug rigged up an apple picking apparatus using an apple picking basket and our paint roller handle!
My Shug helped me with some of the picking too.
 

 Lot's of apples to can (or 'put up' as they used to say in the olden days!)
 My neighbor loaned me an apple peeler, slicer, dicer thingy.  It slices it dices it takes the kids to school!
 It made the slicing go much faster.

 It seemed to not peel the skin off of the beginning and end of the apple, and it was a little awkward if the apples weren't round...but I just put the peels with a little bit of skin in a separate bowl

and made a pie.  I always use Martha Stewarts pate' brisee' recipe for pie crust!  It never fails.  Two sticks of butter peeps.  But, it never fails.
I used this many apples, only got six quarts and a pie...and have thrice that many to go!
 And all of those pictures were nice...but this is the reality of it all!!  This would be where we are living. I'm in the kitchen, my Shug is in the living room, and you can see the bedroom at the other end.
 I haven't room for a dishwasher so, and I have very little counter space...about a foot...
 and we make do!
 I had enough for a pie and a bit extra for a smaller pie.

 And my Shug thought he was being clever, by hiding
this spider under this pot holder!
 
 Happy last day of September!  Where has the summer gone!

Cindy Bee

10 comments:

  1. We only got a very few apples off our trees and I bought a half bushel at the local orchard. I made applesauce and apple butter. Your jars full of apples look beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You need honeybees Brenda! Seriously, they love pollinating apple trees.

      Cindy Bee

      Delete
  2. ugh - beautiful apples in a longaberger basket...now Im jealous!!!! :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sold them in the 80's. I have way more than I'll ever use. They are over populated in this part of the state so I use them, rather than just look at them!

      Cindy Bee

      Delete
  3. please miss ...can I have some apples

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Groovy Girl....come and pick. You can have all you want!

      Cindy Bee

      Delete
  4. What a wonderful neighbour to lend you such a great gadget. Your jars and pies look so enticing. It's been a bumper year for apples here in Blighty too. I think I'll be do a bit of bottling myself next weekend. Philppa x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been a wonderful year for apples. I just wish I could stay home and get them finished! AUGH!

      Cindy Bee

      Delete
  5. I love my apple thingy, paid 25cents for mine at a yard sale.It also washes dishes ;) All day apple butter in the crock pot is my thing right now. Have a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. mary,
    I have seen the apple thingys at yard sales and never bought one, and now, wish I would have. You know I will if I ever see one again.

    Cindy Bee

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to leave a comment on my blog. I enjoy reading them. I hope you have a wonderful day.

Cindy