In my blog I plan to chat about nature, crafts, baking, gardening, beekeeping, family, and whatever else seems appropriate at the time. Sit back, relax, and enjoy!

Tuesday, September 10, 2013

More randomness....

I'm liking these random posts!  
I posted the story on the house blog about our house in town and what happened to the offer.  It's at the bottom of this post.  And our realtor called us last night, and he has an offer on our house! We'll know more this evening.  Cross fingers and toes!
 I'm crocheting a hat and enjoying it.  Yes I still have my ripple blanket that I'm working on.  I had to try out this new yarn, and I needed a little 'to go' project.  I'm learning this rib stitch in crochet.  Fun!


We have lots of apples on our trees.  And they do not LOOK perfect.  But they make the best apple pies, and apple dumplings!





 I made the pie
 
Mom made the dumplings.  Thanks Mom!  It's tradition in our family for Mom to make these for us.  I freeze them.

Here is something I learned from our neighbor who is hands down THE BEST GARDENER! 
 He gave me these apples about a month ago.  He said they are "transparent apples."  And he said he picked them up off the ground, that I need to cut around the bad spots, and they will make the best apple pie.
 HE
 WAS
 RIGHT!
This pie brought tears to my Shug's eyes!!!  He ate three pieces that night.  I'm going to get a transparent apple tree.  Never heard tell.

I will be canning apples later in the week.  

 Something about slicing apples and watching movies on laptops just go together!
 Oh yeah...what I learned from Kenny.  I used to leave the apples on the ground.  Now I use them for pies! 

I'm also letting my bees clean out the supers I extracted honey from.  I'm putting these supers away for the winter.  Don't know if I'll be extracting any more honey or not.  I was SO BURNT OUT for awhile, that I said I wasn't going to extract any more honey.  I just needed a break.  I'll be getting back in the hives to see what's up, one last time before closing them up for winter.  If I NEED to extract, I will. 
 (hear that Vickie)
 I did set up a booth at our town's First Friday event and at Groovy Girl Yarn's sidewalk sale last weekend.  Both days were successful.  I took my beekeeping hat and let kids try it on and ask questions.  They loved it.  I was invited to two other events!
 Speaking of kids....This one makes me laugh!  How did he do this?  (This is the baby I used to watch!)

More produce randomness.  Our neighbor Kenny gave us peaches
 and corn. I froze the corn and we are eating the peaches! I have a question for you peeps.  Think about this.  And I've done it for years....until this year.  You know how you put up corn, right?  Well, most people put it in freezer bags to freeze it.  But the corn is hot when you put it in the bags.  Isn't that bad for you to put hot things in plastic?   
 Lastly, I came home to two pee spots yesterday.  Dixie's bed got moved to inside a cage.  When I'm gone, the door gets closed.  He doesn't even seem to mind.  He goes right in it and sleeps. 
 What's up in your life?

Cindy Bee




9 comments:

  1. Look at the hat...now look at the apple tree.
    Same colours....how fab is that?!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this hat will be called the apple harvest hat! I didn't even notice that.

      Cindy Bee

      Delete
  2. Hey Cindy
    Man that pie looks fantastic!
    You have been busy busy
    I used to can but no more...
    I have been tied to the studio getting ready for the next show. Donna and I are going to TN for the Farmhouse pop up barn show.
    Wishing you a lovely day
    R

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rebecca! So nice to hear from you! How are you? I miss seeing you at Horton's. I hope you and Donna have a great and successful time in Tennessee.

      Cindy Bee

      Delete
  3. Cindy, Those pies look so good. You have been abusy girl. Lots of harvesting around your place. xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup...lots of harvesting=lots of work!

      Cindy Bee

      Delete
  4. The pies look fantastic! You've certainly been busy.

    Strikes me that Dixie knows who's boss if he has to go in his cage when you go out. I'd keep doing that for a stress-free life!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dixie has changed a lot. I think he's turning into a man! This morning he jumped on my lap when Dave went to kiss me good-bye and Dixie got VERY upset! He'll learn...I'm the boss around here! I am going to keep him in the cage. It worked before and when we moved into one room, we didn't want to have the cage in it, but I have it figured out and I like it. I need less stress...and less busy-ness.

    Cindy Bee

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE YOUR KNIT !!! And another yummy things !!! (^.^)/""" Sounds YUMMY and FUN !!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to leave a comment on my blog. I enjoy reading them. I hope you have a wonderful day.

Cindy