In my blog I plan to chat about nature, crafts, baking, gardening, beekeeping, family, and whatever else seems appropriate at the time. Sit back, relax, and enjoy!

Thursday, August 12, 2010

HOT...HOT...HOT

Last night it was 94 degrees outside at 8:00 p.m. We have been under a heat advisory for the last few days in Indiana. Even my bees are too hot. When it gets too hot in the hive, some of them hang on the outside of it. There are about 50,000 - 60,000 more in the hive right now!
But that's not to say they still don't work. They do. They are filling up those supers (smaller boxes on top) with honey.
I extracted two supers the other day and got around 65 pounds of honey. (I explained extracting in a previous post. Check it out if you didn't see it)

Being a beekeeper is a lot of heavy, hard work, but I love it. Did I mention hot?

Cindy

7 comments:

  1. Thank God we don't live like bees!!! We'd smother to death. You are so brave to work with them. I'm a scaredy cat! By the way, the honey is fantastic, thank you for what you do!

    Blessings,
    Ronda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bee. I know those girls are working so hard and so are you. Nice bunch of honey you got there. Stay cool, if you can.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hubs done in his office for the day so I am stopping by all my favorite bloggers to see what is up. You are a trooper working out in the hot. I am staying in the house, canning and painting that spare room. Loving the color so far. Happy Hot Summer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. http://www.kraftbrands.com/homefarming/Pages/default.aspx#

    Thought you'd like this site.
    (Your beehives look fantastic!!)


    --Peggy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there ladies,

    Well the heat finally did get to be too much for me to work the hives. The bees were getting cranky. The last time I got in the hives I was a bit nervous, because they were nervous. I kept saying to myself....don't let them see your fear. I hope the cooler temperatures we are getting today and tomorrow sticks around for awhile. I have a lot of beekeeping to do.

    Peggy - thanks for the site. I'll check it out.

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  6. hello, i have my own set of bee hives and queen bees, but it seems that my my honey bees are quite lazy, and they dont produce honey...what could be causing this problem? please help!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Sheryl,

    I hope you see this response. I tried to get to your blog, but couldn't, and your e-mail is a 'noreply' e-mail. Did you just get your beehives this year? Was it new foundation? Because if it was, then it could be they didn't get the comb drawn out enough to fill it with honey. I have heard that the bees are preparing for winter right now, and they won't draw out any more comb, but I'm not sure. Do you have a lot of bees in the hive? I have to wonder how strong the hive is. If you don't have honey in the hive by the end of October, you will need to feed, feed, feed to keep them alive this winter. Let me know if you get this. Send me an e-mail from your e-mail and we can respond that way. Cindy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to leave a comment on my blog. I enjoy reading them. I hope you have a wonderful day.

Cindy