In my blog I plan to chat about nature, crafts, baking, gardening, beekeeping, family, and whatever else seems appropriate at the time. Sit back, relax, and enjoy!

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Honeybees

I got into my beehives last Friday to see how they fared over the winter months. We had a long winter here in Indiana. Snow on the ground from the end of November until March. Then it seems like Spring came and stayed! WOOHOO! I had two hives die, and four live. I still have two hives to check in my back yard. We will be getting into my hives a few times this summer. I hope you enjoy it!


Does everyone know if you click on an image (or maybe it's double click) it will get much bigger? So, if you click on the image below, you will see all of the pollen my honey bees are carrying into their hive. They put it in the little 'baskets' on their hind legs. This is a good thing. Especially for April.


Below is a hive with capped brood (in the center) larvae, and honey on the outer edge. See the little tiny white wormy looking things? That's baby bees! I'm a proud mama.
Cindy

2 comments:

  1. It is wonderful about your hives. Maybe you can go visit Happy Mrs C. She just had knee surgery and took a little time to visit her hives and the bees were all gone. Ants in her honey. She is pretty sad. Maybe you would be able to give her some encouragement. http://happymrsc.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for offering your help on my hives. I was sad because I worked so hard last year feeding them with sugar water and trying to maintain the hives (2) the best i could. We live about 30 minutes away from our "farm" (13 acres)and after teaching all day we would go out and check on them. If you would like to look at my blog here is the address: happymrsc.blogspot.com and my e-mail address is k.campbell5427@yahoo.com I would love to ask you all sorts of questions, I probably won't start my hives again until next spring since I am having all this knee surgery done. If by any chance you cannot get through with e-mail or blog try my school e-mail campbell_k@hcde.org thanks! kathy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to leave a comment on my blog. I enjoy reading them. I hope you have a wonderful day.

Cindy