In my blog I plan to chat about nature, crafts, baking, gardening, beekeeping, family, and whatever else seems appropriate at the time. Sit back, relax, and enjoy!

Monday, April 19, 2010

Back from Vacation!

Hi y'all!

Thank you Brenda for the art box idea. If you e-mail me your address, I will send you one of my primitive bees! I actually do have an art box for the kids, but it's not individualized. It's got everything thrown in it for the younger nieces and the older boys. I'm thinking if I let them make up their own art boxes, it will help out on the rainy days.
The bee pattern came from an issue of Mercantile Gatherings, which I did alter a bit. I'm involved with a stitchery group called the "Granny Bees" and they make and sell a lot of primitive items by hand. I'm not as prim as they are, but I do enjoy making some of it now and then. I'm more of a cottage-style person.
I just returned from a vacation to South Carolina. I love it there in the Low Country. It's so beautiful. We went to Charleston and Beaufort and we took little day trips to Sullivan's Island and Hunting Island. Their azaleas and jasmine were blooming and everything smelled so wonderful. If you've never been to Beaufort, give it a try. It's like a small Charleston. We stayed at the Cuthbert House Inn. During the civil war, General Sherman stayed in the house and turned one of the bedrooms into an office. I found it quite interesting that there were two names carved in the mantel piece on the fireplace of two soldiers that stayed there.


The Cuthbert House Inn


This was hard to take! When you stay there, you have access to all of their balconies and gardens.
We stopped at an antique/garden place in Charleston and I had to have this pot. It has an opening in the top to plant something in it, but it's hard to see that from this picture. It's supposed to be Albert Einstein.
We also stopped at a garage sale and I got these two pieces of silver. $3.00 for both. They have names and numbers on the back of them and my husband is all excited because he thinks they are real silver. He can't wait to research them. I just like them, so I don't care if it's real or not. I'll use them for service pieces!

I did get a few granny squares made from my 'sand and sea' yarn. Very few. Now here's the thing....I am a beginner at crocheting and reading patterns. So, I made a few squares, and I think I added an extra stitch times four on each square. So I'm trying to decide. Do I just make all 400 and something squares wrong, because you really can't tell it, or do I start over? What's a crocheter to do? What would you do?


I also got started on my shawl.
It's not exactly turning out the way I expected it to, but I still like it. So, these two items will give me something to do on those rainy days, or when I have time to watch a TV show or two! I think I'll put them in my art room! Have a great day.

Cindy

2 comments:

  1. Looks like a great vacation. I do crochet and have for years. I'm not sure what you are saying you did. If you crochet one correctly and it does not change the size of the block when you put them together I do not expect anyone will notice it. Or just keep making squares and maybe you will not have to use all of the ones you made the mistake on. I do not like to tear out and start over, although I have done it quite more often then I would like to admit. I love the color of the shawl you are working on. I have not tried that type of thread yet. Thanks so much for offering me one of your bees! I will e-mail you soon with my address and I will find just the right spot for it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Brenda. I don't like to tear out either. I think I've added an extra chain stitch on the outside edge of each side of each square. I will try to make one the correct way, and see if there is a huge difference, but your comment gave me an idea. I think I will just take the ones I've 'messed up' on and make a trivet or dishrags or something out of them. And start over on the blanket, doing it the correct way. I really am enjoying crocheting. I never used to like granny squares until I started watching some blogs that make them, and now I love them! Don't forget to send me your address. I have no doubt my bee will have a good home.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to leave a comment on my blog. I enjoy reading them. I hope you have a wonderful day.

Cindy