In my blog I plan to chat about nature, crafts, baking, gardening, beekeeping, family, and whatever else seems appropriate at the time. Sit back, relax, and enjoy!

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Busy Bee Week

I have had a busy, busy week. I thought I'd show you some of what I have been doing. Can you see that clump in this tree, about a foot above that ladder. Do you know what it is?


Now do you?
Yup, it's a swarm. Hives sometimes get too full and the old queen leaves with half the hive. The new queen, that the bees amazingly make, stay in the hive and replace the old queen. This is a great way to start a new hive, IF you can capture the swarm. I've captured two this week.
That's me and hubby assessing the situation. He helps out with the beekeeping business when I need him to. (the pink thing is a neighbor's finger. She is only 10 or 12 and she took all the pics. She wants to be a columnist. I told her to e-mail me this story and I'd post it, but I haven't heard from her yet and I wanted to let y'all know I'm still here. If she e-mails me, I'll post her version.)

I've got a "bee brush" which has very light bristles. I brush as many bees into this box that I can. If you get the queen, the bees will start following her in the box.
Now that's a lotta bees.


I took out a couple of frames so I could shake them down to the bottom of the hive. I caught this swarm on Tuesday. Thursday I checked on them and so far so good. As my husband and I just sat down on Thursday to visit with each other he said, "it looks like one of your hives is getting ready to swarm." Sure enough, another hive swarmed. Here we go
again.....
It's a busy time of year for beekeepers and gardeners here in Indiana.

Have a good weekend.
Cindy

3 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! You, Happy Mrs C and the Coop Keeper are Caarazy! Never a bee keeper will I bee. Pun. Love you all but I have gotten stung a few times since I was a child and I do not react well to it. I not go into breathing problems or anything like that but I get huge swelling and one time I stepped on a bee and ended up with blood poisoning. I know that is what I get being a bare footed hillbilly. Actually I do not go bare foot outside anymore since.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Brenda...GO BAREFOOT! Just stay out of the clover. Honeybees like clover, not grass.

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! You are so brave!

    On Saturday I was at a Farmer's Market and starting talking to a couple who are bee keepers too. They were selling honey of course, soap and other items. I told them about you and that I had just started following your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to leave a comment on my blog. I enjoy reading them. I hope you have a wonderful day.

Cindy