In my blog I plan to chat about nature, crafts, baking, gardening, beekeeping, family, and whatever else seems appropriate at the time. Sit back, relax, and enjoy!

Monday, October 14, 2013

Brown County

We ended up taking a few days and going on our annual trip to Brown County, Indiana.  For those of you who have never been there, it is very hilly with lots of trees, and this time of year it is usually beautiful.  Fall is peak season for Brown County, IN.

 I usually make muffins before we go and we have them for breakfast with some fruit.  Then we head into the town of Nashville for lunch.
So, on Monday and Tuesday of last week, I cleaned house, did laundry, and tried to make muffins.  Did you ever just have one of those weeks where your mojo was off?  Yup...me too.
This recipe was for apple caramel muffins.  They sounded great.  I had to clean out the oven after this mess.  It is not a self-cleaning oven, I might add.

I went with the usual...banana nut.  Not my favorite, but they do turn out every time.  Go to THIS POST for my favorite muffin recipe.  I was out of coconut or I would have made my fave.

My baking tip for the week:  If you have a recipe you know is good, double the batch and freeze the extra one. 

As you know, it was my Shug's birthday.  We don't buy gifts for each other, but I did make him this hunting hat.  There's that front post back post stitch again...love that on hats.

He asked me to make him a German Chocolate cake...which I did...with no icing.  Doesn't make for a pretty picture, but it's his birthday.  Hmmmm....I think I'll have a piece....hold on.....
Dangit...I really did just blow my diet. 
We always stay in a cabin in the Brown County State Park.  We usually put in a request for a couple of different cabins that we like, that are in the woods.
When we get to the park, this is the cabin they have us in.  They said we requested it!  I DON'T THINK SO!  Right on the road?  We are nature people...
(please don't tell me my bad mojo followed me to Brown County!)
After much time and talking with the nice clerk, we got this cabin instead.  Not our usual cabin, but guess what?  We liked it better.  So we requested it for next year.  We make reservations a year in advance.  I'm ready to go again!

Fairy house in the bottom of tree.


We did go for one hike, but I have plantar fasciitis, and my Shug has Achilles tendinitis so that was it for the hiking.  We're getting old and house building is tearing us up.
You can see the trees are not at peak color yet.  There have been times when we were there and the leaves were orange and red and yellow.  But not much color this year yet.
Still beautiful.










I suppose if I were in the right frame of mind, I would say something profound about this picture, like make sure you put down deep roots ....not shallow....blah blah....I reckon I'm not in the right frame of mind to be profound this morning!
It was supposed to be .09 of a mile.  We felt it was longer.  We hiked for about 45 minutes and took the road back!!!  More Brown County later....

Cindy Bee


5 comments:

  1. Cindy, What the heck happened with those muffins...I would have cried myself.:):) You must be one of my mis- placed daughters(lol)...we all love Brown County State Park. I used to take my girls there every fall for years. They would bring friends along once ina while...so plenty of girls. The folage isn't the same this year is it?? Hey, I am going to email you about the planter fiscitis.xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
  2. A walk in the woods really relaxes doesn't it...l unless you are limping!. I hate it when a recipe fails, it makes me feel so miserable..but not as miserable as having to clean the oven!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Happy Birthday Cindy's Shug. Oh hiking in the woods I would have loved to be on that trip you are not old so quit using that as an excuse:) Oh your mojo is coming back because you just made a great post and my muffins look like that more times than not lately I blame the weather. It is beautiful out and I don't like to be stuck in the kitchen:) Hug B

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful place to have a break. I miss going for a wander in the woods with the children. The muffins may not look the best but I bet they still tasted great.....and don't worry you are not alone in having one of those days. They seem to happen frequently in my house. Philippa x

    ReplyDelete
  5. This'll make you laugh - I looked Brown County up on Google Maps and thought it didn't look very far from us and might be a good place to go this weekend, so I clicked for directions and it's more than a 4-hour drive!!! This country is so big!!

    Sure looks like a lovely place to go hiking. Hope you were both able to relax a bit.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to leave a comment on my blog. I enjoy reading them. I hope you have a wonderful day.

Cindy