In my blog I plan to chat about nature, crafts, baking, gardening, beekeeping, family, and whatever else seems appropriate at the time. Sit back, relax, and enjoy!

Sunday, March 28, 2010

Morning Glory Muffins

When my husband and I go on a vacation, I bake muffins or scones, or both, and we take them for breakfast, along with some fruit. It's one less meal to eat out, plus we get our day started off in a relaxed mode. This is one of our favorite muffin recipes. I hope you enjoy them. I usually make stuff to take ahead of time and freeze it, since I'm always frazzled with packing and last minute things to do right before a trip.

MORNING GLORY MUFFINS

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
2 cups finely shredded carrot
1 cup finely chopped apple
½ cup raisins
½ cup chopped nuts
½ cup shredded coconut
3 eggs
¾ cup cooking oil
2 teaspoons vanilla

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 18 muffin cups or line with paper baking cups.

In a large bowl, stir the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda and salt. Then stir in the carrot, apple, raisins, nuts and coconut.

In a separate bowl, stir together the eggs, cooking oil and vanilla. Add the liquid ingredients all at once to the flour mixture and stir just until moistened. Do not over mix.

Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups.

Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes. Cool in pan on wire rack for five minutes.

This recipe came from a Better Homes and Gardens cookbook titled “America’s Best-Loved Community Recipes” The note in the book about this recipe says….

“Ruth Matthew’s recipe for Morning Glory Muffins is an old family favoraite, given to her by her mother. Ruth tells us that she especially likes to serve the muffins around the holidays and to special visitors. We love this recipe just as it is, but if you’d like a different twist, try substituting shredded zucchini for all or part of the shredded carrot.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to leave a comment on my blog. I enjoy reading them. I hope you have a wonderful day.

Cindy