In my blog I plan to chat about nature, crafts, baking, gardening, beekeeping, family, and whatever else seems appropriate at the time. Sit back, relax, and enjoy!

Monday, March 15, 2010

Home-made Laundry Soap

Yesterday I made some batches of home-made laundry soap. I've been using it for a few years now, and really like it. It's easy to make and best of all, it's VERY inexpensive. Give it a try.

Laundry soap recipe

1 - 5.5 ounce bar of Fels Naphtha
Washing Soda (not baking soda)
Borax Powder
1 tablespoon of essential oil (optional – I don’t add essential oil. The soap smells fresh as it is)
2 – gallon jugs – You can recycle gallon vinegar jugs, distilled water jugs, milk jugs, etc. (get six jugs if you want to use all of the fels naptha soap)


Grate 1/3 of the bar of soap and put it in a large saucepan with 6 cups of water over medium heat. Heat the mixture until the soap melts.



Add ½ cup of the washing soda, ½ cup of the borax, and 1 tablespoon of essential oil (if desired), stirring constantly until all has dissolved.
Let it sit for 5 minutes over the heat stirring occasionally.
Remove from heat and let sit for another 5 minutes.
Using a funnel put half the mixture in each gallon jug.

Fill each jug halfway with hot water and shake well. Continue to fill the jug to the top with hot water. Shake again, and put aside for about 24 hours. This gels up and looks like egg whites.


Use ½ to 2/3 cup per load. This soap won’t suds up like most detergents and the clothes smell wonderful.

You can add ½ cup of white vinegar to soften the clothes.
All ingredients can be found in the laundry aisle of the grocery store, usually on the top shelf.
Stock up for yourself and give some as gifts.

1 comment:

  1. You have a lovely blog - I really like your blog banner, it's very sweet.
    I make a laundry detergent like this one, only I don't do it on the stove top - I might have to try yours, it looks great.
    Melxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to leave a comment on my blog. I enjoy reading them. I hope you have a wonderful day.

Cindy