In my blog I plan to chat about nature, crafts, baking, gardening, beekeeping, family, and whatever else seems appropriate at the time. Sit back, relax, and enjoy!

Sunday, May 20, 2012

May 9 & 10 - Day One

Journal Entry - May 9, 2012



We boarded a plane to Rome. Mom, Dad, Theresa and I. We are still on that plane and it is now Thursday, May 10.


Mom, Dad, and I left home at 8:00 a.m, May 9. We went to Theresa and Trent's,and Trent drove us to the airport. Our flight left Indianapolis at noon. We went to the Boston airport, and left there at 6:30 pm. It's now 1:00 our time. 1:00 a.m. that is. If I were home, I would probably be getting up from bed to go to the bathroom about now! As it is, I fell asleep on the plane around 10:30 pm, and it was dark. I woke up two hours later to the sun coming up, and it is now 7:00 a.m., Rome, Italy time.


We are hoping Gianni is waiting for us at the airport holding a sign with my sister's name on it.


Our goal today is to stay awake until night time in Italy. Our challenge is to get along when we are hot, tired, and grouchy!


We exchanged our U.S. Dollars for Euros at the Boston airport. My heart was beating like a drum. My personal goal - to not get so sound up inside. Things will work out!
Journal
The journey begins....




This is at the Indianapolis airport. The trip started off with problems checking in! We had to get help. And when we finally got checked in we realized the seats from Boston to Rome were changed and we were not sitting together. So in Boston I asked the airport lady at the gate if she could change our seats. She did but only three of us were together. It all worked out and we all got to sit together by switching seats with other people who wanted to switch seats. However, the Boston flight was delayed because of seating situations. We were concerned that we caused the problem.



Finally, we take off and guess what? They serve wine...for free...on the plane!




Movies, crochet, biscoff cookies, and wine make for a relaxing flight.


Journal Entry, May 10, 2012 (in the room at the Star Hotel Michelangelo)

Aaahhhhh yes - Fabrizzio was waiting for us at the airport. When we departed the plane, we had to get on a very crowded standing room only bus. The bus took us to the luggage area. Our luggage arrived in perfect condition!

Going through customs was a breeze. They didn't even care about us. I stuck my passport under the window and he stamped it!
After customs we walked through a door to find a young man holding a sign with my sister's name on it. Nice!
He drove us to our hotel. Oh my gosh! The driving here is crazy. The parking is crazier!
We checked in but our room wasn't ready yet. The motel gave us a suite for the same price of a room and it's very close to the Vatican!

He (motel guy) said it would be two hours so we left our luggage and went for a walk. We went to the Vatican and then to a small pizza place for lunch.

Then came back to our room, showered, slept for about an hour, then started off again......(continued in next post)





On our way to our Hotel.









Fabrizzio in front of our Hotel. Look behind him - the Vatican.





There were other 'signs' that we were close to the Vatican!





Look how they park











Our walk to the Vatican.





We made it.





I can't stop taking pictures. Everything is breathtaking.





Mom & Dad in front of St. Peter's Basilica











Dad deep in thought...














Ding Dang Dong go the bells...all the time.










This old man was so cute...Look at that camera!


















I was amazed at the architecture everywhere. I couldn't stop taking pictures of it.





This was the view from the cafe' , where we ate lunch (pizza).






Still at the cafe'.











Whenever we walked anywhere we had to cut through the Vatican and through these columns to get back to our Hotel.































On our way to Museo Nazionale Di Castel Sant' Angelo


























More later....

9 comments:

  1. Haha ...yes Italian driving takes a bit of getting used to! And crossing the road can be a nightmare.

    Love your photos - keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fiona, I could never get used to that driving! And you are right about crossing the street. Thank God they had lights to help. I have taken so many photos that these posts will be heavy laden with them. But I want to print these off and put them in a binder. It's the trip of a lifetime for me.

    Cindy Bee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! I read through the complete post and then I brought all the pics up full screen so I could get a closer look. How wonderful. You should pick out all your favorites and have one of those bound books made up. My sister-in-law gets coupons from groupon all the time just to have these books made up. They are wonderful. She had one made for my daughter last year from pictures of her wedding. And she just gave us one of our Easter day pictures from this year. You can add all your own verbiage and they come out wonderfully.!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cindy bee I am arm chair traveling thru Italy with you . I love the pictures, Hugs Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brenda - My Sister has made those books before too. Sounds like a good idea to me. Oh and congrats on that Grandbaby. He looks perfect. I have been trying to catch up on blogs via my phone, at night when I try to fall asleep or wake up in the night.

    Cheri - I'm glad you are enjoying the trip.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow this is so very cool!!! great pics and captions. I feel like I am there with you. Thanks for making it real for me... Can't wait for more. Hello from Alabama :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bee.........You took really good pictures. Like a whole differet world over there...isnt it?

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow what a fabulous trip u had. last time i went anywhere that fabulous was when i was 16. i hope u were able to look for some vintage goodness while u were there and fill up on amazing dishes.. hugs

    ReplyDelete
  9. I knew you would love it!!!!!! I can't wait to see MORE!!! xoxo
    Selena

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to leave a comment on my blog. I enjoy reading them. I hope you have a wonderful day.

Cindy