In my blog I plan to chat about nature, crafts, baking, gardening, beekeeping, family, and whatever else seems appropriate at the time. Sit back, relax, and enjoy!

Thursday, July 29, 2010

Putting up corn


This week my cousin, Vickie, came over and we froze some fresh corn for the winter. I thought I'd show you how we do it. A friend of mine showed me this method years ago, and everyone loves it. We bought ten dozen ears of corn. The first thing you have to do is "peel the skin." No that is not the correct terminology, but that's what Vinh called it! The boys (Vinh and Teng) were great helpers with cleaning the corn. See the fog in the picture? It was a scorcher out that day. So hot and muggy my camera lens kept fogging up.

We shucked the corn and cleaned it the best we could, but do not put it in water.

Melt a stick of butter in a skillet.

I cut about a dozen ears off the cob at a time.

Put the corn in the skillet with the butter and stir.

Turn your knife over to the dull side. Run it along the cob to get all of the cream out of what is left in the kernels. You stir it up until it turns a bright yellow color, then put it in bags and let it cool. Once it has cooled, put it in the freezer for the winter months. When you want fresh corn, all you have to do is thaw it and pop it in a pan to warm it up. It's all ready to go.

YUM!

It takes about an afternoon to do ten dozen ears with two people. It's a lot of work, but worth it.

Cindy