In my blog I plan to chat about nature, crafts, baking, gardening, beekeeping, family, and whatever else seems appropriate at the time. Sit back, relax, and enjoy!

Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Happy Fall Y'all!

 The seasons they are a changin'!
Doesn't my Shug look relaxed!   This was his second favorite spot in St. Thomas.

 As you know.....I'm a summer girl.  Spring and Summer are my faves. 
I usually do not accept Fall with any kind of grace, because I know what's coming.  And I just can't like winter.  I like the first snowfall....I like the Christmas season....and yes it is a Christmas season for me.  But after Christmas, I'm ready for the snow and cold weather to be over.

But I've decided it's not really Fall's fault that Winter is so darn cold and snowy!  And today is the first day of Fall.  I woke up with a new Fall attitude!  I'm going to TRY to embrace Fall this year.  With all of it's color and gorgeous weather.  It's been in the 50's at night and 70's to 80's during the day.  Great sleeping weather!  I'm giving Fall a chance.  Maybe hit up a harvest festival or two.

In honor of  embracing Fall I got some old hand-spun yarn out, that I personally hand-spun years ago.  I bought this grab bag of all different kinds and colors of fleece from a weaving studio in Brown County.  I spun it, then put it away.  I decided to make some handwarmers out of it.
 
Not finished yet.....but I do like the way they are going to look with denim.  And it's fun to see what stripe of color is going to pop up next on the hook.
Can you guess what kind of tree this is?
It is not an apple tree.  Although this is the apple tree on our property.  And it's FULL! 

At least it was....and yes they look bad. They're not.  But I don't eat the peel, and I do check for worms!  I know...ewww.  I suppose we need to figure out what to use on the apple tree to make them not be wormy and ugly.  Right now, we don't have time to think about such things.  So we just motor along harvesting what we can.  I usually can (put up) apples.  I did not this year.
 And these tomatoes came from our garden.  
Did you know that Fall, also known as Autumn, (the only season with two names) used to be called Harvest?   If google says it's so, then it's so.
 My Shug harvested this cute boquet on our land and brought it in to me.  Sweet.
 We have darker colors in the fall, hence, darker honey!
So, this is my start to embracing Fall. 

BUT!  There is always a but....
This is the second summer in a row that I did not get to post all of my summer pictures.  And I am not finished with that wedding darnitall!  So, I am going to try to post a little bit a day.  And see if I can get caught up.  And I'll enjoy summer for a bit longer this way!   I'm so anal that I always like to keep everything in a neat chronological order.  I've had to overcome a lot of anal type stuff since building a house, and I reckon' this is just one more thing I'm going to overcome.
And speaking of house, go to the house blog.  We've finished a couple of rooms!

SO....

 Did you guess the tree?  
  
 It's a gourd tree!!!
 OK we do all know there is no such thing right?  Actually, it WAS a redbud tree, and for no known reason whatsoever, it died in the spring.  So My Shug said to plant my gourds on it and I thought it was a great idea.
Thing is...they got very heavy and some of the branches broke.  So don't try it with a tree that you want to live.  I like to make birdhouses out of gourds, paint them, and hang them in our trees all over the property. 

And I really enjoy growing FUN stuff.  So I've decided to try to grow fun stuff every year.  Any ideas of  FUN stuff to grow?  Besides gourds (of course), and maybe some of those cute squash decorations.  Pumpkins could be fun.  What else peeps?  I need Fall Fun!  This could be a Fall Fun Farm when the Bee Lady is too tired to beekeep!

Happy Fun
Fall, Autumn, Harvest!

Cindy Bee

4 comments:

  1. Yard-long beans are always a fun thing to see, especially the red ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jacque,
    I've never heard of yard long beans !

    Cindy Bee

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your gourd tree and the bird houses you've made from the gourds. I think I am going to have to grow some myself, like you said , plant FUN stuff !

    I love fall, but I see your point about it when you have such hard and cold winters. The hand warmers will come in handy. ( pun intended )

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love autumn, but hate winter. I get where you're coming from!! Love the gourd tree!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to leave a comment on my blog. I enjoy reading them. I hope you have a wonderful day.

Cindy