In my blog I plan to chat about nature, crafts, baking, gardening, beekeeping, family, and whatever else seems appropriate at the time. Sit back, relax, and enjoy!

Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Preparing for my Fourth Favorite Season

In preparation for my Fourth Favorite Season, I did put up some food this past summer. 
I do try to "put up" food in the summer months.  Right now, we do not have a garden.  My neighbor does and he oftentimes will share with us.  For example, this cabbage came from him!  It's bigger than my head!
I made a Bok-Choy salad (which is yummy-btw) and some sausage and cabbage (instead of potatoes) and green beans in the slow cooker, and I froze the rest.
I did pick black raspberries this summer.  We have wild thorny bushes on our land.  (except for the side of the woods that our anal neighbor with the perfect yard sprayed.  Those bushes have since died.

I made a "bucket" out of a milk jug so I would have a handle to hold the picked berries.  My Shug puts a piece of material through the handle and hangs it around his neck, so he has two hands free.
Green Beans came from the neighbor.

Tomatoes!  We did grow them.  We had a few plants, although they didn't do very well this year.  So, our neighbor gave us some 'maters!  BTW- the neighbor with the produce/garden/chickens/cows....he is not the same neighbor that uses chemicals.  His yard is pretty much chemical free.
I made juice.  Do you have a "Victorio Strainer?"  If not, get one.  It separates the pulp
from the juice.  You don't even have to peel the tomatoes first.  Just clean, quarter, then run through the strainer.

Corn...I purchased from a local farm stand. 


And these 'maters came from our plants.
I just sliced them, and put them in jars, and into the freezer they went.  They are good in soups and sauces this way.
So, that's one thing I did in preparation for my Fourth Favorite Season.  I'm working NOW to have a good winter.  I am going to have a good winter.....I am going to have a good winter.....I am going to have a good winter.....

Cindy Bee

8 comments:

  1. Fourth favourite eh:) that is a Canadian eh if you were wondering:). I think you are well prepared wished you lived closer and I could come visit when I am hungry:) Hug B

    ReplyDelete
  2. You sound very organised, so much fresh food for the winter months, sounds like yours is the place to come for dinner xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you Bee! I may try and take up your muse on that. Here I sit in one of the most northern states in the USA and I have always dreaded the month of November.....Well here's to more time in the sewing room!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very organised! And I love the attempt to be positive, but I'm just going to come out and say that I absolutely hate winter ... although (and I never claimed to be consistent!) I adore winter food. My winter prep has mainly consisted of getting winter clothes out of storage and reading a stack of recipe books to find some new soups and stews to keep me warm throughout my hibernation period!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the idea of 'putting up' lots of food for the winter in this way....so cosy and homely!
    Happy November!
    Helen xox

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pretty jars! I am going to have a good winter as well. 90 days hot yoga membership card signed and marked the calender for when the little cinema shows the classics, Breakfast at tiffanys tonight. Bring-it-on I say!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We did corn, tomatoes, peppers, green beans, pomegranate and eggplant and strawberries, blueberries and a few raspberries because I ate the rest!!!!...:)JP

    ReplyDelete
  8. Winter is my #1 favorite season - weird I know :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to leave a comment on my blog. I enjoy reading them. I hope you have a wonderful day.

Cindy