In my blog I plan to chat about nature, crafts, baking, gardening, beekeeping, family, and whatever else seems appropriate at the time. Sit back, relax, and enjoy!

Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Very Important Post

Where to start......
I guess I'll start with spending time with family and friends....and bees.
A couple of weeks ago my Shug went on a small fishing trip with the neighbors, so
  I had a little bit of relaxation time!
On Friday morning my friend Teresa and I went garage sailing.  I'll show you some of my treasures in a later post.  I didn't buy a lot.

 
I invited my sister and cousin over for Friday evening for a girl night.  I made some bruschetta and a pitcher of Sangria. Vickie brought some Bruno's pizza over, and Theresa brought some cake balls and port wine.  
What a fun evening!
We had a fire in the fire pit and just ate, drank, and talked.  Theresa had obligations the next day but Vickie spent the night and we did a little shopping.  

We also went to a fellow beekeepers house to go through one of his hives.  The best way to learn about keeping bees, is to go through hives with someone that has been beekeeping for awhile.  Even though he is a new beekeeper, we both learned some things. 
 
 Saturday evening I relaxed by myself.  I ended up throwing another log on the coals of the fire pit and sat outside for a couple of hours.
 
 Well, our room we live in is right by the patio.  And the fire was smoldering when I went to bed.   Apparently, around 2:30 in the morning some smoke decided to make it's way into our room and the smoke alarm went off!  
I JUMPED OUT OF BED!  After realizing what happened, and calming my heart, I went to the fridge, got a drink of OJ, and started to go back to bed when I saw a tick crawling in our bed!!!  ACCCKKKKK!!!!!  I'm sure it came from the beekeepers yard.
Guess who did not get back to sleep.  Me.

Sunday morning Mom and I went out for breakfast, and we did a little bit of shopping.
 My Shug was back home, and My Dad had just left for a fishing trip.  
So, we had Mom over for dinner Tuesday evening.  
 I had made some straw-barb pies so I sent Mom home with a couple of pieces for her and Dad.
  
On Thursday, of last week (not tomorrow!)  my Shug and I decided we needed a date day.  
Here's the thing about building your own house.  You end up losing yourself in it.  It becomes all you do together.  We have been trying to think of things to do together that we both enjoy, besides building a house.  It's hard.
So we decided to go to a small flea market.  We knew he would have to sit a lot, because of his surgery, but we were going to give it a try.  So we got up early and were getting ready to go when I got a call at 7:00 am. 
My Bees were in!
And you know how concerned I've been about getting them.
  They would be available some time after noon, and the place I ordered them from were about an hour away. 
So we changed our plans and decided to prepare hives and get bees.  
We actually had some hives ready, but we had talked about moving them to a different location, so that's what we did.

Here is a picture I took of a hive that died.  All of that is dead bees and it was a good strong hive.  Sad.
After setting up the hives in the new location and already being totally exhausted,  we came in to eat a sandwich and we were going to leave when I checked my messages.
Dad had called.
He was at the hospital, with Mom, who was having a heart cath!
What?!!??
 So I went straight to the hospital.  
 I spent Sunday morning, all morning, with Mom.
I spent Tuesday evening with Mom.
I did not know she was having back pain, heavy feeling in the chest, high blood pressure, and severe indigestion!  Which are all signals of .....heart attack!
Thank God, she did not have a heart attack.  
But on Thursday she had a heart cath, a blockage, and a stent put in.  I stayed at the hospital until 4:00, then came home and drove to Star City to get my bees.
 
 These are what packages of bees look like.
Lots of packages of bees!
This guy is sweeping off all of the bees hanging out on the outside of my three packages, so that they won't be flying around in the car on our way home.
We stopped at the B&K in Logansport for a quick dinner.

Here are my bees tucked in the back seat of the car.  We got home safe, and I quickly put them in their new homes.
Then I went back up to see Mom.  What a long, long, long day.  

Now I just want to say, Mom is fine.  They did have to adjust her meds after her surgery, but she is doing very well.   
Peeps, If you have 
a heavy feeling in your chest, especially while climbing stairs or walking.  
If you have severe indigestion.  
If you have back pain that feels kind of like a muscle spasm.  
If you have SKY HIGH blood pressure.
Get your heart checked out.  
IMMEDIATELY. 

More later....it's been a crazy two weeks!  Plans have been made and changed constantly.
I have barely been on the computer.  
Such is life at the moment.

Cindy Bee

10 comments:

  1. Thank heavens your Mum is OK - I know they say that heart attacks in women present differently to in men and had heard about that combination of symptoms, but it's always good to have a reminder. I wish her a speedy recovery.

    Hope your bees settle in well and thrive in their new home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, I feel so sorry about your mother. I did not know she got sick. She is also super sweet like you, of course your mother. I got two sweet cards from her, too when I was sick. I just stopped by your blog by chance, and found this topic. I am very surprised !!! Hope she will get well soon and I will see you both when I visit IN soon !!! Anyway I am so glad she is okay now. Is she still in the hospital ??? Anyway I really hope she will get well soon !!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG, I feel so sorry about your mother. I did not know she got sick. She is also super sweet like you, of course your mother. I got two sweet cards from her, too when I was sick. I just stopped by your blog by chance, and found this topic. I am very surprised !!! Hope she will get well soon and I will see you both when I visit IN soon !!! Anyway I am so glad she is okay now. Is she still in the hospital ??? Anyway I really hope she will get well soon !!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad your mother is okay! Sending you huge hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a stressful time for you. I am pleased your mum has had a successful op and is now on the road to recovery. I hope it is a speedy one. On the other matter, what a wonderful shot of all those boxes of bees. It must have been quite noisy in the car whilst you were eating your lunch. I'm glad you all got home safe and sound and I hope your new bees do well. Philippa xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. These have definitely been some stressful times for you! It is important that you are taking care of yourself as well! Great that your mother received the medical attention she needed and is recovering. Also, great that your bees are at home! Sending wishes along for all to thrive!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad to hear your Mum is on the mend...woman tend to struggle along, not wanting to make a fuss.
    Hope the bees are happy in their new home,and that the find lots of flowers!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank god your mom is going to be fine! Glad these bees arrived safe and sound...get some rest!...:)JP

    ReplyDelete
  9. So sorry to hear your Mom is having troubles. Hopefully the stent took care of the problem. BTDT with DH, so I know how you feel.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cindy, I am so glad your mom is doing well now. That was too close and too scary. When it rains it pours...ever feel that way honey? I have been running in circles and not done yet. Blessings to you and your family, hug your mom and dad for me....I sure miss mine. xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to leave a comment on my blog. I enjoy reading them. I hope you have a wonderful day.

Cindy